MNSAH Works in Progress
Thursday, January 14, 2021, 7:00-8:30 p.m. via Zoom
Works in Progress provides an opportunity to keep abreast of current architectural scholarship through presentations by scholars, preservationists, and curators.
This year MNSAH is pleased to present:
Cass Gilbert and the Saint Paul Seminary
Architectural Historian Marjorie Pearson, Ph.D., will speak about Cass Gilbert’s design for the St. Paul Seminary campus. This timely presentation will discuss Loras Hall, a building that the University of St. Thomas has proposed to demolish.
In 1891, Cass Gilbert was commissioned by railroad magnate James J. Hill to develop plans for a new seminary campus, located at the west edge of St. Paul, south of Summit Avenue, on 40 acres of land donated by Archbishop John Ireland. Saint Paul Seminary and its buildings, including Loras Hall, are an underappreciated part of Gilbert’s career. It was the first of his educational complexes, the first project that involved several buildings on a site, and it incorporated a landscape plan. This project served as a precursor to his later highly regarded educational and institutional work.
Minnesota’s Trunk Highways 1921-1954 and Highway Roadside Properties 1932-1975
Architectural Historian Renee Hutter Barnes will present studies undertaken by the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) over the last 20 years to research and document Minnesota’s Trunk Highwaysand Highway Roadside Properties in order to evaluate them for the National Register of Historic Places. Examples will include highway segments and roadside properties that are listed on the National Register, or eligible, and why. This presentation provides an opportunity to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Minnesota’s Trunk Highways!
Roselawn Chapel and Administration Building
Historical Consultant Emily Ganzel will speak about Roselawn Chapel and Administration Building at Roselawn Cemetery, located on Larpenteur Avenue in Roseville. Designed by Thomas G. Holyoke in consultation with Cass Gilbert, the 1904 buildings include characteristics of the Gothic, Jacobean, and Elizabethan styles often found in “English Village” architecture. Both buildings were recently nominated to the National Register of Historic Places.